Local Training Facilities and Community and Technical Colleges near you offer training opportunities for Emergency Medical Services. Whether you’re just starting out on this path or leveling up your certifications, you can find low-cost training that works for you. Explore the options and pick your path!
- Over the course of three years, West Virginia lost more than 1,900 EMS workers statewide, including paramedics, EMTs, Advanced Care Technicians and Emergency Medical Responders.
- The EMS shortage, made worse by the pandemic, is being addressed statewide with the help of CARES Act funding.
- West Virginia’s community and technical colleges, local EMS authorities and the state’s Office of Emergency Medical Services are working together to recruit and train these critical workers.
- Training for an Emergency Medical Responder is 72 hours.
- Training for an Emergency Medical Technician is 150 hours.
- EMTs can train an additional 350 hours to be an Advanced Care Technician in West Virginia.
- EMTs can advance to being a paramedic in under two years!
- EMS personnel can find jobs throughout West Virginia with solid benefits and pay.
- There is a minimal cost for EMS training and assistance may be available.
- Trained EMS professionals can find employment in a variety of organizations — public and private ambulance services, and fire departments. Additionally, paramedics can find employment in hospitals and air ambulances — helicopters and airplanes used for LifeFlight.
- The career outlook indicates that employment of Paramedics is projected to grow 7 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations. Emergencies, such as car crashes, natural disasters, and acts of violence, will continue to require the skills of EMTs and paramedics (www.bls.gov/ooh/)
Education And (Certification)
Mountwest’s Paramedic Program includes three options for students:
- 2 Year Degree –
Paramedics A.A.S. (Associate of Applied Science) 67 Credit Hours
- 1 Year Certificate –
Paramedics Certificate of Applied Science 45 Credit Hours
- Skillset –
Emergency Medical Technician Skillset 10 Credit Hours